Valentine 1 stealth mounitng/laser falsing

Hey Gang!

Does anyone here on the BMW digest have a Valentine 1 radar/laser detector
mounted on the rear deck inside the third brake light assembly?  I have just
installed my V1 in such a way, and I'm getting an almost constant rear laser
falsing.  It seems to me that the red plastic changes the wavelength of the
sunlight and causes the detector to false.  (I can't wait to test that
theory at night)
Also, I just spoke with some tech guru at the Valentine Research and he
seems to think that it shouldn't cause it to false.  The guy didn't strike
me as knowledgeable on the subject so before I call again I'd like to get
some feedback from the list.  The car is an E36, and the third brake light
assembly has been modified (read: destroyed) to accommodate the V1 unit.  My
guess is that I'll have to cover the rear laser sensor and give up laser
protection. (if any...)  My front laser protection is obviously already
compromised so it's not a big deal if I lose the rear coverage.  TIA.

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536