<E28> Purchase Advice (Newbie Questions)

I have my eye on a 1983 528e, I have yet to drive it, as the owner has it in
for service (the brake warning light came on).  I have however seen it
casually, as the owner used to be a neighbor.  It did look to be in good
shape, it was missing a couple of center caps on the aftermarket (BBS mesh
type) wheels.  I was surprised to hear that it has 190,000 miles on it's
clock, but the owner assures me that it is quite "tight" and works and runs
well.  His asking price is $2500, but I think I may be able to talk him down
to $1500-2000, which seems like a bargain to me.

I realize that without maintenance history, you cannot form a complete
opinion, however, if you could help me out it would be much appreciated as
the collective BMW knowledge on this list far exceeds my meager car
knowledge.

Should I pass because of the miles?  I've had high mile cars before that ran
like tops, and others that just nickled and dimed me to death.  What should
I look out for?  Is the 1983 528e a decent car in general, or should I keep
pounding pavement?  If there is any advice you could offer to me or answers
to questions I haven't thought of I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thank you,
Darrel P