<BMW> Age Discrimination --> personal experience (LONG!)

Hi everyone,

I've been reading with some curiosity the issues of age discrimination
recently and over the past summer. It seems to be quite an issue, so I
guess I'll put my 2 cents in.

First a little background. I'm in high school, and yes I have my own
car, bought with my own money I worked for, have a license and attended
a defensive driving school (classroom and track), but no special driving
schools as of yet.

I've had experience with both Honda, VW, and BMW dealerships and their
sales practices. This past winter, my parents and I went around to VW
and Honda dealerships to look for a new car for my dad. (VW Passat
versus Honda V6 Accord.) At the time I wanted the VW, but it had no V6,
so my dad ended up buying the Honda. At both dealers I went in alone and
with my parents, and both times I was treated with respect and courtesy.
I guess going in somewhat nicely dressed (no tee-shirt and jeans) helped
too.

However, I usually get some nice treatment with BMW dealers. The one
time I went alone to service my mom's car (50,000 mile or so Inspection
2), I was not treated too nicely. After leaving the car at the service
dept. (said 2 hours or so), I decided to test drive the M3 4-door and
the 328i (E36) to hopefully convince my mom to get a new car (as opposed
to keeping her 94 325i). So I walked into the sales area.

They weren't too busy, and it was late morning/early afternoon in the
summer. They had many sales people available and after going through the
act of looking interested at car (sitting, admiring, etc.) usually a
sales advisor would come up to me within 5-10 minutes, a friendly and
courteous amount of time. However, NO ONE paid attention to me for 20
minutes (however I was too interested in the Z3 at the moment to notice
the time pass). However, I wasn't too distracted to see 2 older people
walk in and within 2 minutes get some service. I decided to go up and
loiter around the desks of some salesmen. Didn't work, they just passed
me up.

So then I decided to ask if I can get some help. Instead 2 salesmen
looked at me with very condescending looks and said they had "other"
work.

Alright time to get creative....(some of you may not agree to what I
did, but boy was it fun!). I went and stood in the middle of the
showroom, and started my show. "Ahem....can I get some service here..."
no answer...a little louder..."Ahem....some service PLEASE..." some just
looked up and went back to "work."  Then, I yelled out in the middle of
the showroom, "Can I get some service here or what???? I seriously doubt
that any of you so-called 'salesmen' would like to lose a $40,000
customer? Right? So I suggest that SOMEONE comes over and starts to do
their JOB! Or have some of you forgotten the golder rule of
salesmanship? 'The customer is always right!' (By this time everyone in
the showroom, from those prospective buyers to the manager-type people)
"Now, I would really like some attention here or else. I would like to
test drive the manual M3 4-dr you've got sitting here collecting dust!
Anyone interested in accompanying me for a test drive? Or have you all
chickened out? Should I start a campaign "Don't buy from XXXX because
they're racist, sexist, and discriminate against age?" I doubt your
managers here would like that kind of attention. So I seriously suggest
SOMEONE help me!"

By this time I've gathered some attention and had 2 salesmen argue to
come over and pacify me, but instead I spoke directly to the manager,
whose discussion went something like this....

"Please, sir, can you please try and calm yourself?"
"No, why should I when you treat customers like this."
"I'm sorry sir, but please, we have customers talking to our sales
advisors..."
"And what am I? Chopped liver?"
"I understand you're upset-"
"Upset? UPSET? You haven't seen me upset yet!"
"Please sir, I beg you...try and calm yourself..."
"I doubt you would want a show like this anymore, so I suggest you get
on the case and try to have someone help me."

I was yelling in order to get the attention of the 2 customers at the
back so that I would REALLY cause a problem.

"Sir, either we try and help you, or I must ask that you please
reconsider the purchase of a car from us."
"Don't try and be condescending with me. I know your sales practice and
this wasn't the first time you've done this to me! (A lie, I know, but I
had to exaggerrate a bit) So either I get the keys for a test drive of
this car, or else I'm going to start on a nice friendly campaign, "Don't
buy from XXXX."
"Alright sir, alright, I'll get the papers done right away, you said the
M3 4dr?"
"Yes, with a manual please."

So it ended. I got my test drive and probably scared the entire
dealership into submission. I'll see if my little outburst worked next
time I go and buy some parts and other stuff from them.  :-)

I know some of the adults out there would think this was babyish, but I
must counter that age discrimination is NOT fun. Being thought of as an
idiot teenager is not very nice, and I'm definitely NOT an idiot
teenager. I go to the hardest and most competitive charter school in
county (and it ranked 5th in the state), and I'm extremely mature for my
age. I dislike the prejudices that adults make of me, JUST because of my
age. However, if some are friendly and open to me, then I'm very mature,
friendly, and happy to accompany and make conversation with those
people. Just because people sell Bimmers doesn't mean that they have to
be snobbish. If you were a true BMW dealership, you wouldn't care to
whom you sell cars, but how you sell cars.

If Honda and VW dealers are that friendly and open, why can't BMW
dealers be that way?

- --
:)Regards
- -Chris Graff