e28 Differentials +cup holders

The Diff in my car has been making this turbine style noise now for a while
and I think it is starting to change. I am debating at rebuild vs source used.
Anyone have any experince with a rebuilt unit or has rebuilt a unit
themselves? I heard that the bearings and aoller associatd parts were ultra-
expensvie. It is a limited slip unit so I would probably have to work on the
clutch packs as well.

I just wedge my stainless coffee cup in between the passenger and the seat.
Works great until you forget that it is there and open the door a few hours
later.

Derek Atkin
85 535i 162l
BMW CCA 136755