E36 M3 : Srange engine noise

Hi all,

I heard a strange noise from the engine of my 97 M3 today. I was in a
hurry trying to make a green light, accelerating in third gear, then brake,
heel and tow downshift in to second gear (approx. 5000 rpm) and a sharp
left turn with the tail coming out slightly. 300 feet after the turn I pulled
in
to a parking lot.
As I'm idling I hear this weird noise which increased with engine speed.
Sounded almost like a card hitting a fan. After about 10 seconds it went
away. Could it have been valve noise from Oil starvation? The Oil Temp.
wasn't that hot yet as the car had only been running for about 5 min.
I normally wait till the Oil temp. is up until I rev. above 4000 rpm, but
it didn't seem to me like I abused the car. Has anyone had similar
experience/noise? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Norm.