RE: E30 318/325e buying questions (long)

Howdy,  My comments are below.

> ----------

Neither one is better in my opinion, it is pretty much up to you.  The
325e has more power (although still not incredibly speedy), but the 318
gets better gas mileage.  I have a little over 200k on my 325e and it is
still running very strong.  My wife has about 165k on her 318 and it is
starting to smoke a little, but I don't really think that's a fair
indicator as to their longevity not knowing the maintenance schedule on
her car previous to her owning it.

> This is important to me, because the car I'll buy will likely have a
> good
> number of miles. I want to spend under $4000, preferably $2500-$3000.
> You
> reckon I'll get a good car for that?

It might be a little hard to get a 325e in good condition for under
$4000, but you might be able to find a decent 318 for that price.

> I've seen ads for both 325e's and 325's. Is there a difference?

The 325 with nothing after it is affectionately known as the super-eta,
and it has a slightly modified engine (from the normal eta)  that gives
it a little more horsepower (A whopping 6 horses).  Somebody just posted
all the differences and I can't remember what they all are.

> What does the s sport suffix on these cars mean? Different interior?

The s suffix cars come with a little better suspension package along
with the air dams, spoilers, better wheels, and I think some interior
differences as well.  I like the look of the es and is, but alas I have
a mere 325e no s.

> Do any of these cars have the mileage indicator? (I think that's neat)

I dunno what the mileage indicator is?

> Do they all have cruise control?

My 325e does, but my wife's car doesn't.  I also have an OBC and she
doesn't, so I'm guessing they were options so all cars don't have them.

> How much rust should I expect?

Both me and my wife's cars are virtually rust free, but we live in the
Seattle area where they don't salt the roads in the winter and it never
rains.  OK, maybe it rains every once in a while.

> Thanks a lot! Tonight I'm going to look at a 1985 318 with 96000
> miles,
> listed for $2900.

Good luck.  Hope you get a nice E30 and enjoy it.

- --David Boyd
boydd@domain.elided
'84 325e 200k
BMW CCA