<E36> seatback modification

>Seems like I've always got my favorite car magazine or work related papers
flying around the interior of my car on the >"fun" sections of road. Thoght
maybe I should restrain them with the seat back "net"pockets like those
found in the '94-on >325s. My car is a '93 325 IS(pre-"pocket"). I have
aleady bought one of the pocket assemblies from the dealer and looks >like
it should fit the 93 seat. My question is-How do I remove the seat back
without damage in order to install the anchor >clips? I assume I need to
remove the headrest first, but after that, I don't know where to pull,
etc... TIA for any help!!!! Ken

Ken,

I've taken apart my sport seats a year ago to install seat heaters so I'm
gonna try to dip into my memory banks on how to do it.  First off all, I had
my seats out of the car and in the comfort of my living room.  I'm not sure
if that's necessary for talking the back panel off, perhaps not.  It all
depends on clearances around the seat.  My guess is that you can probably do
it without removing the seats.  After taking the head rest off, remove the
plastic handles (levers) that lift the seat up.  The driver seat has one and
the passenger seat has two.  There should also be two torx screws and that's
basically it. I think the tricky part is the removal of the levers.  You
just pull them out gently and they come out.  The plastic 'frame" around the
lever also just snaps out.  Once you have the levers off and torx screws
out, just pry off the back panel.  Bingo!

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536

End of bmw-digest V9 #281