Reply: Water pump e30

Dave, you're close, but you've got it backwards:

>Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:55:41 -0400
>From: "David Lacroque - ColorImage" <ddl@domain.elided>
>Subject: Water pump e30
>
>How many Rolling Rocks to change the water pump on a 1987 e30
>325e? Would I
>have to remove the timing belt to do this? I had the Timing belt changed
>last year and now the water pump is dripping slightly. Doh!
>
>TIA
>
>Dave Larocque

The pump has to come off to replace the belt, but the belt doesn't have to
come off to replace the pump.  Now you know why everyone always
says you may as well replace the water pump when you change the
timing belt!

Let's see:
1 beer to drain radiator & remove belts and hoses
1 beer to remove radiator, fan/clutch and water pump
2 beers more because installation is reverse of removal
? for scraping off the old gasket material, probably not much because it
was off last year.

4+ beers total, if you work as slow as me.  I recommend Molson, if you're
gonna be drinking a bunch-o-beer, it should be one you actually WANT to
drink!

Good luck,

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter