Newbie ?s - Tires/Chip <E34>

Hi Folks,

I've got some newbie questions, sorry. If you can point me to a good FAQ
where I can get some of the info I'm looking for I'd appreciate it as much
as you people would. :)

I've got a '95 525i that I got used with 3000 miles a couple of years ago.
I'm nearing the 50K mile mark where the warranty will expire so I'm
thinking about putting a chip in. It's also time to replace the tires.

As for the chip, I'm more concerned about preventing headaches and
surprises than I am about price or squeezing every last HP out the engine.
I definitely want to maintain the current reliability and driveability.

For tires, I want to keep my existing 15" wheels. I understand that 225/60
is about the widest I can go and that would be fine. The question is which
tires to get? I live in So. California, so I'd like a tire that offers the
best traction on dry and wet pavement, but snow isn't an issue. Treadlife
isn't as crucial as long as it's reasonable and I can get around 40K miles
or better.

On both the chip and the tires, I'm sure there are lots of opinions, but
I'm hoping there might be some consensus as to something that's proven
since I'm not necessarily after the very best.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Friedman