Sulfur in U.S. Gasoline

I am not aware of any web sites that deal with this topic, but I have
received information from Mobil, Chevron and Arco concerning the level
of sulfur in their fuel.  Basically, there are three types of gasoline:

1.  The C.A.R.B. formulation, sold only in California, contains a
maximum of 80 parts per million (ppm) of sulfur and averages 30 ppm.

2.  Reformulated gasoline, sold in certain major metropolitan areas (for
example: Washington, D.C.):  500 ppm maximum, 320 ppm average.

3.  Conventional gasoline, sold everywhere else: 1000 ppm maximum, 350
ppm average.

The above figures are from Mobil, but information from other national
suppliers will probably be similar.  Sulfur content may vary from place
to place, depending on who supplies the product and how a given refinery
operates.  Finally, premium grade gasoline has much less sulfur than
lower grades.  Mobil reports that the average sulfur level for premium
across the U.S. is 114 ppm. For regular gasoline, it's 341 ppm.

Jeff Katcher
'95 530i - sharked!