Re: paint question

<<< his '89 E34 5series is beginning
to develop some cracking in the clearcoat. the color of the paint is
salmon silver. the car has always been garaged, and is detailed
twice
a year.

1. is this a common problem?>>>

 from the BMW's I've seen around our area (NCC), it's very common.
My dads former '91 535i had it really bad.  I've always kept it clean,
 handwashing only, Zymol once per month.  The problem is not on the
surface of the paint.  After it started 2 years ago (it happened over
about a 6 month period, spreading from the driver's side to the
passenger side), I buffed the car out with some pretty rough stuff
(last resort), and it didn't help at all.

>>>4. bodyshop recommendations in the northern virginia area?

Talk to Autocrafters in Manassas Park, the owner's name is Robert.
They are REALLY expensive, but specialize in BMW's, and have an
excellant reputation.

Later,

Jason McCowan
NCC