Pizzafest Door Prize--a suggestion

First I apologize for adding to this thread, it's been too long already.
However I've heard only opinions from both sides.  Let's go for "closure".
Know whut I mean? Parts of both sides of the issue have valid arguments.
Most notably, Michel P. for his remarks re class and style--for which there
are neither substitutes nor price, and Duane C. for is comments re the
predicament relating to the sponsors.  Brother, I feel your pain!!  And the
guy who used the example of putting your house in the paper for $100K when
it's worth $150k--I hope I never get that senile, or better yet, where are
these people?  I need a quick $50k "bump"!!

My suggestion:

When soliciting sponsors for an event ask the sponsor if the following is
acceptable.  If the winner had no use for the prize, would the sponsor be
willing to donate an ammount of cash equal to say 75%  (or some reasonable
ammount less than 100%) of the retail value of the product instead.  That
way both parties can be satisfied and the spirit of the event remains
intact.  If the sponsor doesn't like that idea then the winner is "stuck"
with the prize  (what's that they say 'bout gift horses?).

The annual club raffle has this option.  I opted for the cash when I won.
Not that I couldn't use a new 325i convertible, but at the time I was
single, my eta car was in great shape (and paid for), and I didn't have room
for another car.  Before the club came up with the option winners were
"struggling" with taking delivery of new BMW's!!  There was enough concern
expressed by winners (or whiners?) that Mark Luckman and others at club HQ
(with the cooperation of BMW NA) decided to use this option.  That, my
friends, is class, tact, and style.

IMHO yr hmbl n obdent.....

Chris Brennan
BMW CCA #19577
68 1600 95 M3

glad to be offered an option....wouldn't want to be a winning whiner