<E28>No Start Condition

To all the E28 gurus out there,

My '87 535is was working fine until yesterday morning.  I went to fire it
up and it cranked fine, but wouldn't start.  When I got home from work
last night (had to drive my old truck), I began the diagnosis as
described in Bently.  Everything is OK up to the coil.  The coil is
receiving 12V and it passes the impedance tests, but I'm not getting
spark.

I then tried replacing the main relay with one from a running "83 533i
parts car to no avail.  Then I went and cleaned as many connectors as I
could find.  The car then started.  I drove it for about half an hour.
When I shut it off, I let it sit for a few minutes and restarted it.
Everything was fine,  until this morning.  No spark again.

At this point I'm stumped.  I know intermittent electrical problems can
be a bear to track down, but are there any specific items (sensors,
relays, etc.) that I should look into.  Also, are the Motronic parts from
my '83 533i parts car compatible with my '87 535is.  I'm leery of
swapping out parts if they may damage something on my car.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Sanchez
'87 535is
BMWCCA 159157

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]