396 Camaro

Chris,

396 was not the original engine displacement. I believe the casting started
life as a 350 (which can hit 402). I dont know the vendor of the block, I
assumed it was a C.O.P.O. block from the 69 production run (only sold for
off highway use) but it may have been from Dove racing. I purchased the
vehicle from an old woman whose son had killed himself, in primer with no
interior for $500. The car was in otherwise perfect condition. The 3 speed
was a crashbox, exclusivley produced for off highway vehicles. The standard
three and 4 speed saginaw transmissions were fragile indeed, but many were
made workable by the addition of welded in bracing, new scattersheilds and
bellhousings, an entirely different barnett clutch pack and a replacement
the gear pack setup from Borg Warner or Richmond. I thought about buying a
Richmond OverDrive six speed for it but decided it didnt fit with the
overall dynamics of the car. This was a 100% straight line car and the 6
speed would have been wasted on it. Besides I didnt want to spend another
$2500 after the resto. I sold the car to the friend I restored it with to
buy the celica. He got tired of the 7mpg on a good day (a 750 doublepumper
will do that) and bought an SHO, so now he can turn too.

Chris Dinsmore
The eyes may be the windows on the soul
But the word is the doorway to the mind