a rose is a rose . . . (not WOB)

The recent discussion of the M coupe has made me wonder whether this car
is a coupe at all. Isn't it really a hatchback? Or a station wagon?
(just kidding on the latter one). Doesn't a coupe have to have a rear
deck with a trunk lid that isn't part of the rear window?
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this stuff; until about 6 months ago
I thought a sedan had to have 4 doors, but I read in a car magazine it
was actually the interior size, not number of doors, that determines
whether a car is a coupe or sedan (assuming it has rear seats).
Andy '95 M3 coupe

End of bmw-digest V9 #267