Re: bmw-carphony fiber

<< Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:16:45 -0600
 From: "B. Sawyer" <kedsrwgs@domain.elided>
 Subject: Carbon Fiber

 <What is the history, background and purpose of carbon fiber trim in
 German automobiles.  Please email me directly.  Many thanks and sorry
 for the WOB.

 Bob >>

History:
 Carbon fiber = arimid fiber composit -VERY light, VERY stiff, has some pretty
kewl properties. In some ways stronger than steel.

F1 tubs are made of carbon fiber (cf) - (the real stuff) as are some of the
belts in the real TRX anti theft tires available on special edition M6 cars.

It seems there is a market for "the race car look" so car companies capitalize
on this with knock off carbon fiber trim pieces.

In production cars I believe the fiber used is carbonbolony fiber or
carbonphony fiber.
I'm not aware of any car company using carbon fiber - but I'm sure there are
some.

Christopher