<E34> 540i 6sp "clutch"? problem

I have a 540i 6sp with 25k miles which I purchased used about 4k miles
ago.  The clutch lets up pretty high, and I get a clunking sound when
shifting back & forth between 2nd & 3rd with the clutch depressed and
the vehicle moving.  I get no such noise if the vehicle is standing
still.  The car is still under warranty (even if the previous driver was
a total schmo, I think  it would have been a bit of work to wear a
clutch out in 21k miles -- assuming no racing).  I've driven 300k miles
in 4 cars and never replaced a clutch.  I don't get ANY slippage or odor
from this clutch, but the pedal does let up pretty high.  I'm wondering
if it might be a synchro problem and would rather not get taken
advantage of by my friendly BMW Retail Service Center as they try to
recommend a new clutch.  I also wouldn't want to have them fix a
"symptom" and not a greater problem with the actual assembly, etc... Any
known problems with the '95 540 6 speed?
Thanks in advance,
Nello