Check Engine Light

When I got my '95 540i back from the body shop the " check engine" light
came on after I'd driven it 3 or 4 miles.  The car has mostly been sitting
for the last two months, cranked only occasionally to be moved, driven
twice to the suspension shop, and its been jumped off at least three times
because the battery went dead (from leaving the key in the ignition, I
think).  I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do to get the light off.
 It may not be related in any way to the last two months conditions, but it
seems strange, as it has never come on before.  My dealer is 100 miles away
and I haven't the time to take it in right now.  TIA
Bill Mitchell
128427