<E36> Rough/No Start, Air Mass Meter

The saga continues....

I tried to pick up my car from the body shop who
painted the hood after the window tinter dropped
a hose nozzle on it, and part 2 of the story starts.

It's Friday ight, 11 PM, I just got in from Boston after waiting
3 hours because the first flight was cancelled.  The
car isn't in the best part of town, so I am pretty anxious
to get it home.

The car started but idle'd horribly, then stalled.
The car is still wet from the wash job the body shop
gave it.  I check under the hood and there is a lot
of water drops about half-way up the engine.  It's
pooled in some areas.  I pull the air filter and
it's dry.  I feel up inside the ducting and no water.
So I assume, while it's wet underneath, I haven't sucked
any water up.

A few more times and it seemd to go, but VERY rough idle.
I go about 2 blocks and it died, refusing to start again.
I figure something electronic got damp and it need to dry
out.  It's at least in a more open area, so I go home and come
back Sat. morning.  Same problem.

I pull a spark plug (3 months old)and it is almost dripping
with gas and is completely black.  So I know the engine is
getting gas, but the plugs are fouled. So I hike down to the
auto parts store and pick up a new set of plugs.  Throw them
in and after a few rough tries, the engine starts and idle's
great.  I let it run for a few minutes and it promptly dies.

I get it towed to the one shop open on Saturday and the
preliminary prognosis is the air mass meter is bad, but he'll
have to verify on Monday.

didn't drive the car over a mile, if at all (odometer reads the same).
Rough idle then won't start, tach never worked even with the rough
and later, short but smooth idle.  New plugs didn't help.
Suspect: Air mass meter.

Questions:
1) Do air mass meter's just "die" ?
2) Could the heat from the paint booth kill it?
3) How do I verify it is bad?
4) How does the non-functioning tach figure into this?
5) New, used, or rebuilt?  Where? (Dealer wants $470 for the part)

TIA,

Matt Tremmel
tremmemm@domain.elided
'94 325is