Trailer Towing - YES !

I think I remember someone writing recently about being told that BMW
does not recommend towing trailers.

Well.......

The next time you hear that, you may want to ask what else are we
supposed to do with the trailer that BMW is now producing - listed as an
"accessory" -  for all the current car's, including the Z roadster.

It is a small flatbed unit, nicely sculptured with raised sections in
the rear bumper for the lights.  It has 15 inch wheels, in enclosed
fenders, (can be fitted with alloys) and has it's own drum brakes
(electric I think).

It is large enough to hold a full size motorcycle in the centre, in fact
it has an optional cycle module with a loading ramp and a wheel holder.

It also has various tie down accessories, similar to the roof rack
concept.

Looks like it only comes in Alpine white (at least for now)

Sorry I do not have any prices - I suspect it is only being offered in
Europe at this time.

But at least you will now be armed with info to refute the guy that says
you can't tow a trailer with a BMW.  If the guy looks at you funny and
says "Sure" - ask him to look up part # 86 11 9 410 982

BMW also offers towing hitches, and trailer light modules designed for
the various cars.  When you get this on the E39, the rear bumper is
different - it has a hatch cover in the lower bumper panel that comes
off to expose the hitch connection.

Actually I am a little surprised at this because last year I sent a
suggestion that they should use the back half of a Touring body to
produce a "Tour-Trailer" accessory - painted to match the towing car.

They replied that it was an "intriguing idea" but all production plants
were at full capacity, and they were not in a position of expanding to a
trailer product.

Well they now have the bottom half - lets see if they make an enclosed
one some day.

Never hurts to ask.

Cheers

Jim Cash