Updating using WinCE

Nitya writes:

>Am I crazy or is Dinan now selling a PalmTop (manufacturer unknown) with DME
>upgrade software, and necessary hardware (adaptors) for people to do DME
>upgrades at any time through the engine-bay DME port (switch from stock to
>upgrade and back to stock whenever, where ever)?

 If he was.. I'd sell short on Dinan stock.. the process is not something to
 be handed off to end users with no training.. I belive his device will be
 for his dealers to use on customer cars.. and my sources tell me that the
 device is not out of engineering yet. Has anyone heard any different?

>They even offer free upgrades/improvements
>as their software engineers develop them to those that will own this set-up.

 Hmm.. Gee.. as I have for six months now *grin*

 Just ask all the poor folks whom the dealer "updated"

> Obviously this would eliminate having to do any type of physical chip
>replacement in order to obtain performance gains (similar to flash upgrades).

 Yeah.. again see above *grin*

 How do you think I have been doing all these OBD-II based upgrades..

> If this is the case, is the software Windows CE-based or what?

  Yes, and it's a poor choice.. selected most likely due to a myriad of
  factors like cost and perceived copy-protection.. or maybe due to the
  fact that I publicly blabbed to all who would listen that I was planning
  a WinCE device.. which I really wasn't (hey, it's called counterintelligence ;)

  In reality, a lot of WinCE serial ports are not stable enough for the
  purpose.. My programmer runs on any Win95/98 PC with a 9 pin serial port
  and was first demonstrated lice

> Imagine adjusting your own DME software to cater to exhaust mods, smog
>inspections, intake mods, etc, or just switching back to stock if you're
>selling your car.  I wonder if the Land Shark is working on something like this
>for...uh hum...'98 M3s with OBDII DMEs ;-).

  LandShark has HAD such a thing for six months.. but it's not released to
  the public, it's for dealer use... and you'll be seeing it in a lot of
  places soon..

  Jim