<E34><E32> Gauge Problems

In BMW Digest v09.n228 Gary Zimmerman <yoda@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have 89 535i which has a funny guage problem ...  My gas guage,
> temp guage, service indication lights and computer does not come
> on when I start the car.  The computer by the radio works fine.
> I have to drive it a few miles before it comes on, showing to fasten
> seat belts and service indicator lights, my miles and trip miles gas,
> temp and vacuum (mileage)guage comes on at the same time.  The trip
> is always set to 0000, but the miles are right.  Sometimes it stays
> on and sometimes it goes out and then come back on when driving.
> I have noticed that when I have the lights on,  the service indicator
> area lights up when I hit the brakes when I am waiting for it to come
> on.

This is the infamous and common instrument cluster failure, usually
caused by bad connections, components, or solder joints on the instrument
cluster main printed circuit board.  You have several options for repair:

1. BMW sells replacement boards for about USD 800.

2. Program sells rebuilt boards for about half what BMW charges:

  Programa
  301 W. Camino Gardens Blvd
  Boca Raton, Florida  33432
  800 668-8843

3. Several BMW parts vendors, such as Zionsville, sell used boards:

   Zionsville Autosport
   Jason Lile <jason@domain.elided>
   www.zionsvilleautosport.com
   800 246-6377

4. You can get a used one from a salvage yard (condition usually
   unknown).

5. I can repair your board inexpensively by special arrangement.

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, California