RE: new

Woa, that's a pretty big jump.  I think the '86 eta's came with a 2.9ish
final drive and the M3's come with a 4.10.  Granted this will give you
about a 40% increase of torque at the wheels, but you're gonna be
shifting pretty darn fast and if I calculated it right, in 5th gear
you're gonna be buzzing at about 3,000 rpm's driving down the freeway at
60mph.  4th gear will top out at just over 80 where normally it's about
110ish.

I've heard a good combo is a 3.25 LSD with the Conforti chip.  I haven't
done it yet (still saving) so I don't have any personal experience.
Maybe somebody who has could pipe in.

Also if my math is way off on the speeds somebody slap me, I was just
kind of guessing at the tire circumference.

- --David Boyd
'84 325e 200k