Re: Bastard Child <surprisingly NOT wob>

Charles Gregory wrote, in part:

> The US is sort of the bastard child for BMW, we rarely
> get the real good stuff, so all of what I was speaking of
> was for the N. American market.

I'm kind of having a hard time reconciling the "bastard child" status
coment with the fact that BMW sells over 100,000 cars in the U.S. every
year (at least recently).  I'm just curious, how many cars do they sell in
"legitimate child" Germany, where they get all the go-fast, look-kewl
goodies?

I know part of this has to do with emissions and safety certifications for
the different combinations.  If they can't sell enough of something here,
the certification cost is not justified.  Still, in Europe you can order a
Bimmer using a mix-and-match approach to the options to a much greater
extent than we can in the U.S.  Even our entry level 318ti isn't all that
"entry-level", compared to the Euro version, right?

OK, enough, I'm rambling again...

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
Driving a "bastard child" 1990 325i/is hybrid