Re: Lurkers, come out of the closet!

Jim proposed a list of 10 canned responses for lurkers to use in Digest
posts so that they sound knowledgeable.

>Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 01:59:14 -0700
>From: Jim Ochi <jochi@domain.elided>
>Subject: Lurkers, come out of the closet!

<see Vol. 9 Digest #219 for the list>

To which I add, Jim, how could you have missed the most ovbious reply:

"The first part that you should upgrade is the nut that holds the steering
wheel."

(Note:  This is my preferred version of this quote, and we've already had
the discussion about the other way that most of you seem to prefer to
say it.  Either way, the intention is the same.)

This (the "nut" part, not my note) is the reply to anyone that says they're
new to BMWs and want to know the best mods on which to spend their
life's savings/inheritance/the bundle they just stole from the bank.
Usually they give a list of proposed mods, many of which the collective
Digest has pretty much decided is a waste of time/money.  Then the
person posting the reply should go to their Roundel or local newsletter
and list a few drivers' schools that will be held in the question asker's
area soon (assuming you know where they are).

This way, not only will the lurker sound knowledgeable, but they'll sound
like they really know how to drive like Shumacher, too!

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977