Roll Protection

Duane Collie said

>Sooooooooo.....its everyone's call WHAT to run in the way of safety
>equipment - they just need all the facts first.  The time to wish you had
>safety gear is not when you're going airborne at trackside. Now when you
get
>into real racing - they won't let you be stupik and choose what to run.
>When you're only street driving then no one can stop you from your poor
>choices!

As usual Duane is right on the money. That's the thing in these Drivers
schools, especially as you advance to the higher speed groups, you are
carrying the same speed (a fair amount of the time) as the full blown
club/SCCA racers, but without any of the safety equipment that they or any
real racer would be required to have. This certainly got me thinking about
this picture...

This is not an attempt to scare people away from drivers schools. It's just
a suggestion to match your equipment with your intentions. If you are in
this to get faster each year or each school then you might want to think
about enhanced safety equipment to match your level. Is it that people are
worried about messing up the interior of the bimmer with all this nasty
safety stuff? At least your bones might not be part of the mess!

Everyone is quick to run out and buy the go fast stuff, but allot slower to
buy the safety equipment.

I guess you could always stay in the novice/intermediate groups, take it
easy, brake early, don't follow to closely etc.
Unfortunately this is not the pattern I see at these events. People want to
move up and charge hard.

Just some food for thought.

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter
(1988 325IS, no power steering, cracked foglights, rollcage)