Auxillary Fan. Works outside, but not installed in car.

I just replaced the auxillary fan on my 88 325is.  It works outside the
car, but not when installed and connected.  I guess something upstream of
the fan is not working.  Relays?  Fuses?  The earlier fan got stuck and
would not turn.  I'm not sure why.

I've never had any need for the fan, not ever being in traffic or running
the AC, but would like to have the AC going now (that it is winter!).
Also, since I'm moving up to Detroit, I might get into traffic quite a
bit.

Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Neil Deshpande
88 325is