Stero Upgrade

Jason Wrote

<start snip>
I just went through a mild upgrade from the 10 speaker stock system in my
1993 325is.
The speakers I selected are the MB Quart 215's up front, and I retained the
stock
Nokias in the rear (rear is fill, so no need to drop a lot of $$$ here).
The amp I selected
is a PPI 25x2.  Let me just say this:  The MB's sound good, no bass (what
do you expect
from 1 5-1/4" driver), but are the most inefficient speaker system I've
ever had personal
experience with.  They feel like they need at least 50x2 or even more.  So
if you select
the MB's, I recommend going with as powerful and clean of an amp as you can
afford,
make it a 4-channel model to possibly add a sub later, run the rears off of
whatever
head unit you select, and set the MB's to the -6dB crossover setting.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

- - - Jason
jeuculano@domain.elided
<end snip>

I put MB Quart RKB 130s (CoAxial speaker with external passive crossover)
in the 5-1/4" location.
I was able to get a LOT more bass from them by removing the foam baffle
that surrounds them.
My installer, mrdecibel@domain.elided,  investigated the area the baffle
protected and was unable to find any signs of corrosion or moistore. If
anyone knows first hand that the baffle is required, please let me know ASAP.
Anyway, I'm using a PPI 25x2 amp to power the MB Quarts and the 2 speakers
in the door. Sounds really good.
I'm still using the factory head-unit, tapped a line out. Using power from
the stock amps for the rear fill (stock Nokias). I also have a PPI 50x2
powering 2 JL Audio 10W6 subs in a custom enclosure. The enclosure is built
to JL specs but is small enough that it fits under my rear shock tower
brace (Active Autowerke). Finally, I have a Coustic active crossover that
controls the output and frequency between the two amps. I want to change
the head-unit and changer because with the extra bass, the changer skips a
lot. I also plan to add MB Quart tweeters in the doors and eliminate the
other factory speakers.

- - Chip
'93 325i (Amps on back of fold down seats, sub enclosure removed for track
events)
"Boom Boom Boom" (words to cruise by)