Amsoil Auto trans fluid?

I have an 88 528e (Auto) and about 6 months ago put in Redline ATF.  It
seems to shift well when cold, but as it warms up seems a bit notchy.
Is Amsoil better?  How do I know what application my car requires?
Where is Amsoil purchased for I've never heard of it until I read it
here.  My engine was real clean when I did a head job 20k miles ago, but
do not know what oil previous owner used (mechanic picked car up at an
auction).

My car has 200,600 miles and runs strong.  I use Castrol 20w50.  Does
anyone think I should use anything else?  Why I ask?  Well, 20 years ago
Quaker State was the oil of choice, now its the oil of choice only for
gumming the engine!  Not that I suspect Castrol's quality control has
taken a dive, but just inquiring if there is something better.  I
realize that synthetic is great, but I've read that they tend to find
little leaks in older engines.

Any and all opinions, pro or con.  I won't hold anything against anyone
:-)

 Dave
88 528e
bmwcca #152277