<E30> Flywheel meets fan blade, flywheel wins

I purchased my '90 325iX a couple of months ago knowing I was going
to replace a few things.  For some reason the P.O. had put in an
aftermarket
electric fan working from a thermostat.  I finally got the parts to
replace it with
the factory fan clutch and fan blade.  However, when the clutch is
screwed
tight onto the water pump, the fan blade hits the large nut on the
flywheel
(at least I think it is the flywheel).  Am I missing some parts?  Wrong
parts?
Any help as how to make sure I did this right would be great.  Bentley
does
not mention any washers or spacers, so I assumed I do not need any.

Thanks in advance,
Tristan

'90 325iX
'97 528i