<E36 automatics> Fill plug design

I need advice from the digest.  I've run into the problem that late model
BMWs with automatics (93 325is in this case) have a poorly designed hex-head
fill plug on the side of the transmission pan.  It's too shallow to properly
seat a closed-end wrench and is made of soft metal.  As a result, it almost
surely will become bunged-up and rounded before it comes out.  In my case, I
had to swallow my pride and resort to a pipe wrench - Oh, the ignominy of
attacking a BMW with common plumbing tools!!  Fortunately, the local dealer
has a replacement (anticipating steady business from frustrated DIYers), but
I really don't want to repeat this exercise in another 50,000 miles.  Has
anyone come up with a quality alternative for this plug with either harder
metal or a better head design?  Please post your replies to the digest - the
sales numbers show that there are a lot of closeted automatic owners even on
this digest.

Ron Sanders
Phone: 404-639-4678
Fax:      404-639-2980