Re: E28 Gauge Panel/How To Relocate Lighter?

Never thought anyone else would be interested in such an odd
modification as alternate 12v outlet locations, but FYI here are a
couple of thoughts.  Since my kids broke out the cheezy plastic original
lighter fitting twice when adjusting a flex stalk map/reading light, I
have reglued it and try to never use it.  While I don't smoke or allow
same in the car, there are lots of toys that need power, so...

I did not want to create any new holes that big in the interior finish,
so I chose a slightly less refined, but very functional alternative.
Using two metal outlet/brackets from the anycar store, I extended power
back from the original outlet under the carpeting to the parking brake
base cover.  I pop-riveted the L-brackets, one each side of the cover in
a vertical orientation.  They are inconspicuous due to position next to
the seat back, and of course blacked out.  This position is ideal for
the cell phone charger cord because you don't drag the cord past the
steering wheel or shift knob when using the phone, and it is more
convenient to both front and back seat occupants.

If you do want to go ahead and do a flush mount through trim you could
either do it in the parking brake cover, or perhaps below the glove
box.  For a flush mount, I also recommend you go to West Marine or E&B
Marine and acquire the high quality marine 12v. outlet/plug sets by
Marinco.  They have quality construction quality look, retained cover,
and even a coke/starbucks proof o-ring and twist lock feature when using
the supplied male plug.  They still work with regular 12v "cigarette
lighter adapter plugs".

With 2 more outlets you can run both your GPS and radar detector at the
same time, and if you are gentle with the stock outlet, you can power up
you mini-accelerometer to boot.

Isn't this totally ridiculous minutia?

Steve Poland
'88 535is, 160,000mi.