Funny story (was WOB how much to change the oil) **Rob

A funny story occured to me when I read what Chris Bourk wrote:

>Subject: Re: WOB oil changes
>What I posted is: the more you change (the cleaner) the oil ALL THINGS
BEING
>EQUAL the longer a machine will last.
>This isn't rocket science and I maintain there is NO difference of opinion
>about this umong engineers.  Yea,  I do think it's that simple.

        I agree with Chris completely on this.  But then I remembered this
anecdotal, unprovable, yet very-possible story that becomes part of "urban
legend":

A mid-town Manhattan gas/service station had a customer who would bring his
car in for an oil change *every* day.  He'd drop it off first thing in the
morning and pick it up at 5:30pm, every day like clockwork.  One day, the
service manager says to him, "Sir, while we really appreciate your business,
it isn't really necessary to change your oil every day."  The customer looks
at him for a moment, clears his throat, and says, "I know that.  But letting
you change the oil and having the car sit here for 10 hours is cheaper than
parking in a Manhattan garage."

Note for the humor-impaired: you don't have to reply with "Why was the guy
so dumb?"  It's just a joke.

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo  192K
'86 535i  80K
(both get the oil changed every 3K miles)

www.shortshifter.com