CD ch ch changers

Gee....

Back before I knew about the digest I got talked into forking out dealer
price for my Alpine CD changer unit.  My '97 328i was ordered in late June
of 1997, produced in July and shipped in August to Toronto. I had hoped to
have it at the beginning of August so that I'd have a couple of weeks of
familiarization before heading off with it on a cross-country vacation to
Vancouver. Of course, the car didn't arrive until two days before I was
scheduled to leave!

The only thing the dealer had to do was install the alarm and the
cd-changer, then kick the tires.  My sales rep delivered the car to me the
evening before my vacation. In my 'new car' euphoria I took two hours to
notice that the CD player wasn't working!  Up I went to the dealer
(Town+Country) & asked that they pleeze look into this.  (I explained about
the upcoming vacation).

These fine folks set right to fixing the problem - they replaced the unit!
Then 'we' checked it - and it still didn't work! (It would 'see' the CDs but
no sound was forthcoming). The radio was fine.  Now I got a story from the
Service Manager about how they'd have to rip the cabling outta the car and
find the 'break', and about how all of this was going to take time .....
Perhaps I could just leave for my vacation and they'd have somebody along
the way order the parts and I'd get it fixed in, say, Winnipeg?

Needless to say, the prospect of leaving town using a 'broken' car was
creating a bad taste in my mouth. Well, I have to concede that they didn't
give up at that point but proceeded to double-check their analysis.  Lo and
behold, it turns out that the original installer had 'bent' one of the pins
in the connecting cable!  Fixed, it worked just fine!

Now I find out that the whole thing is a slam-dunk installation in the first
place.  I'll know better next time.

See y'all at Pizzafest!

Chris Sorensen
328i BL/SS