M3 Chain Tensioner and an Apology

First, let me apologize for pure stupidity in misspelling Alfa in an earlier
post.  Lesson:  don't practice reciting the Greek alphabet while typing a post
to the Digest.

Second, I've got a problem with the Timing Chain Tensioner on my '95 M3, and
was wondering if any of you have had the same problem.  Luckily, I have 2,000
miles left on my warranty, so the fix is free.  A mechanic caught it while we
were making sure my newly modified oil cap (Thanks Milos!) with temperature
probe was working (which it is beautifully, I might add).

How do you know if you have this problem?  With the hood up, blip the
throttle.  As the engine returns to idle, there is a loud rattling/vibrating
sound coming from the front of the engine bay.  At first it sounded like the
fan was hitting something, but if you held your ear close to the block, you
could tell that the sound was actually coming from inside the VANOS unit, at
the front and top of the block.  Unfortunately, with the hood down, in the
car, the sound was almost impossible to detect.

The independant mechanic that discovered the noise immediately diagnosed it as
the chain tensioner.  One dealership mechanic thought it was the VANOS unit
itself, and another thought it was the timing chain.  When they opened it up,
it was in fact the tensioner.

Apparently if this were to get bad enough, the timing chain could slack enough
to bend valves (don't ask me to explain, because I don't understand the
mechanics of how this would work, or not work).  With a little luck mine will
be finished before I'm supposed to leave for the Glen on Thursday night.  The
new tensioner won't be in until Thursday morning.

Anyone ever hear of this problem before?  Are there any known causes or
related problems?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tim Leithead
'95 M3, with only a tiny little bit of warranty life left.