Re: E36 M3 RD Swaybar

>Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:20:08 -0700

>From: Benjamin_Chien@domain.elided

>Subject: E36 M3 RD Swaybar

>Hi all, I was installing my RD rear swaybar yesterday but failed to detach

>the link from the car.  My regular 3/8" wrench won't fit into the space

>between the arm and the underside of the car.  As a result, i was unable to

>torque the link bolt out.  Has anyone tried installing the rear swaybar

>him/herself?  Please shed some light.

>Thanks in advance

>Ben

>98 M3/4 X-braced, 1/2 swaybar'ed

Ben,

A friend & I did this install in our cars a few weeks ago. He has an M3, but the 325 & M3 rear install is the same

The "secret" is not to bother with that bolt until after you've got the bar off the car.  There is a single nut on the top side of the control arm that will allow the whole link (and upper link bracket) to come out with the swaybar.  Once you have it out of the car, you can easily remove the links from the bracket.  This technique also makes it easier to match the length of the new (adjustable) end link to the old (fixed) link.

Same deal for the install, but in reverse...assemble the new link to the upper bracket, and install that to the suspension.  Then install the bar to the now hanging link last.

Good luck,

Rob

93 325

</color></bold>Rob Norwalk