Gear Oil for 325i

It's me again.
Thanks to all who replied to me about the differences between an M3 and a
325i. All seemed to favour the 325 - interesting.
I'll be keeping the 325i and modifying it a bit - although it goes like
hell at the moment. (stopping is another matter though).
Could I dare ask another question?
I need to change the gearbox oil. The handbook that came with the car seems
to say the 325i needs "engine oil", 2.2pints.
All the other cars mentioned in the handbook take gearbox oil.
Am I reading this wrong.
Thanks again to all past and future contributors.
Pat