Automatics at the track

> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:36:35 -0400
> From: Peter Stickney <stickney@domain.elided>
> Subject: Informal Poll - track events
>
> Just out of curiosity, how many people out there run track events with
> automatics?  (transmissions, not pistols).  I read an article about a guy
> in the northeast that does SCCA racing with an '86 Corvette automatic and
> was wondering if anyone does more than one or two track events with an
> automatic.  Any info on this would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks...
>
> - -Pete
> '92 325is sharked et al. (5 forward gears, manually selected)

	I have been driving at track events for 2 years (14 days) with an
automatic '94 325is.  The first year I drove on street tires.  Three
year old Michelin MXMs with 20,000+ miles on them.  They went through 8
track days and I still drive them on the streets at 45,000 miles.  I
kinda liked driving on street tires because it was easy to modulate
them, with instructor coaching, into power drifts through some turns, 1&
2 at Summit Point in particular.  But I was curious about the R compound
tires so when Duane wanted to sell 4 wheels with R1s mounted I bought
them.  The experience is a lot different.
	The question I am reading into your post is how might it be different
from driving a manual.  Well, I could quote you independently timed laps
(wife with a stopwatch) but I don't think that is very important except
that it gives me a sense of how consistently I drive.  Instead let me
describe my experiences.  An automatic can be driven two ways: one
allowing it to shift for you, and two manually shifting.
	If you choose to let the auto do the shifting you can focus more on
developing other driving mechanics.  As a beginner this is a good thing,
but as you advance you will start to notice when the characteristic
performance of the system is not optimum.  For example, there will be
times when the RPMs will be wrong and you will be in an inappropriate
gear for the conditions.  On a wet track at NHIS coming out of the bowl
this was one of the factors that caused me to spin.   As I attempted to
regain lost momentum I got into the kick-down switch and she promptly
shifted down and spun first the tires then the car.  In Sport mode it
doesn't occur as often, but it does still occur.  I have been
foot-to-the-floor at turn three at SP and had the instructor tell me to
step on it.  I explained that I was pedaling as fast as I could.
Similarly there are times when the torque converter causes the power to
come on abruptly like a turbocharged engine.  On the other hand, the
added weight and the characteristics I just described forces you to
learn momentum management and engine management in a different way.  For
example, it encourages you to brake more precisely.  When you are a
little high on weight and low on power overbraking by 10mph can be a big
deal.  You need to slow down just enough to make the turn.  I was behind
a Corvette driver who slowed to a walk then used his horsepower to walk
away from me on the straight.  For all he was learning he should have
spent his money on a drag strip.  Your favorite racing brakes are a good
upgrade for this purpose.  While most people talk about their ability to
haul you down from high speeds, it is just as important to be able to
precisely slow the car consistently over an entire session.  Racing
brakes will give you the tools to do that, it is up to you to provide
the skills.  I want to reemphasize that you will be trying to avoid
overslowing.
	If you choose to shift for yourself it will not be as immediate as a
manual transmission, nor will the power be applied as strongly.  On the
other hand the transmission will not shift into a gear that would allow
overreving.  I have accidentally gone from 4th to 1st on the lever only
to have the transmission choose the correct gear.  With an instructor
coaching me on Jefferson Circuit it took a couple of seconds off the lap
times in his opinion.   You do gain better control of the RPM range and
hence the power and torque.  And while you don't heel-and-toe you do
shift just as you release the brakes while your foot is on its way to
the throttle.  That brief coast is a stable condition and lessens the
stress on the transmission.  The nature of automatic transmissions is
that you won't be going down through the gears when transitioning from
high speeds to a slow turn.  Rather you get all your braking done then
shift to the gear you want.
	All in all, you are a little high on weight and a little low on power
at the wheels so you are forced to learn smoothness in order to run
well.  This means that, with the guidance of an instructor you learn to
keep your momentum up through the turns and not over slow or let the
revs drop too far.  Other than that, all I can say is ask me at Summit
Point during Pizzafest.

Ronnie Lewis   Pizzafest #11
NCC  1994 325isa, sports suspension, R1s, Hawk pads