Alpha RollOver At LimeRock

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:56:58 -0400
>From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Lime Rock, Rolling Alpha's, and the Dreaded OBDIII

>At 12:45 AM 9/24/98 EDT, E36MPwrd@domain.elided wrote:
>Some poor guy rolled his Alpha coming down the hill turning onto the
main
>straight when his wheel failed.

>2) he talked about it over on the Alfa Digest. they were good quality
but
>old Ronal wheels; it makes a strong case for dye checking old alloy
wheels
>on your track cars.

>richard

Richard makes a good point here about checking wheels. I was at this
event when this incident happened. When I saw this wheel with a good
part of the center section broken away it did make me wonder weather I
spent enough on my track wheels....

The other point that is important here is that it was not clear if this
wheel broke and caused the incident. It is quite possible (and I hope
that some of the BMW/CCA/CT Valley officials chime in here) that the
wheel broke off the car when it slammed back down after the rollover. I
spoke with one driver who was right behind this poor soul when this
happened, and he indicated that the wheel came flying off after the
fact. He also pulled over and got out of his car. A big NO NO. But that
is another story. One last thing, this Alpha driver had a full cage in
his car and was unhurt...

Be Careful out there folks, watch the Red Mist.

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter
(1988 325IS, no power steering, cracked foglights, Full Cage)