Re: how much to change the oil

 From: Jim Ochi <jochi@domain.elided>
 Subject: Lurkers, come out of the closet!

 <snip>
here are some answers to recurring threads - when the thread comes
 up again (and it will!) you can be the one to answer!.  Please, one answer
 to each lurker.

<snip>

 < 5.  Some people follow the Service indicator lights for oil changes
 (usually this means that they have an oil change every 7500-9000 miles).
 Others change every 3000-3500 and ignore the lights.  Big debate about
 what's better, no definitive answer.

 Jim Ochi
 jochi@domain.elided >>

Jim,

I appreciate your desire to invote lurkers to respond but please only post
good information.

To my knowlege there is really no debate as to how often to change oil - it's
simple,  the more you change the oil,  the less wear from abrasives and
contaminants. This is not a subjective/opinion/x/y axis answer,  the more you
change the oil the longer the engine will last - PERIOD.  This is with all
other condions equal.  There are no conditions where changing the oil less
frequently will allow an engine to last longer.

I think the debate circles around the economics of changing oil.  There will
never be a resolution to this because each individel's fact pattern is
different.  The person who leases may only find it meaningful to change the
oil enough to maintain his lease obligation, but the person who has an
emotional bond to his new M3 may want it changed when it starts looking less
than clean.

I want all the fluids in my car to look new,  I don't really care if it has an
effect on how long the piece lasts or not,  I simply enjoy looking into the
coolant tank or power steering reservoir and seeing spanking clean synthetic
fluid.

Talk about tribology if you want,  I change the oil because it makes me feel
good.

Christopher