Euro 528iT w/ Steptronic

 Reguarding the "tiptronic"(Porsche) style shift system on a BMW
> automatic.  BMW does indeed have one, it's called a "steptronic".  I
> have not driven one, but yesterday sat in a 1999 European 528it
> (wagon-for those who don't know), it had the steptronic in it.  Unlike
> the tiptronic which now has "satellite" controls on the steering wheel,
> the BMW is limited to the shifter itself.  Although there where a few
> things this car had that I'd never seen on a 5.  Such as PDC (Park
> Distance Control) rear only.  It also had a set of 540 alloys, not the
> Sport wheel, but the standard "turbine" style, and a 5 Speed automatic.
> This car also had the full aluminum engine that the E46 has.  So this
> must mean that the '99 fiver will have the same gearbox and engine of
> the E46, unlike the '98 fiver.  I have no information that suggests the
> 1999 3's will get a steptronic.  Who knows, they may make it available
> mid year.

I shuttled one of these cars at the "Drive for the Cure" event in August.
I thought the "Steptronic" was very nice with quick crisp shifts in the
manual mode though the downshifts mode skips gears due to programming.  If
I had to have an automatic in a Bimmer, Steptronic is something I would
consider.  BTW, the euro version of the 528iT is a wonderful car.  This one
was flown in from Brazil for this tour group.  Plently of power and very
nice handling.  Unless you look behind you, you would never know this was a
Touring while driving the car.  Pity we miss this kind of performance
because of our EPA, litigation climate, and general
head-up-our-collective-asses governmental regulations.

Bob Duckworth