Beware of unscrupulous persons

Many of us, use the bcg to get answers, help and ideas
to questions about our cars. A couple of weeks ago, I
posted a question about a leaking steering rack. I
received a lot of information and help and I was very
thankful.

One individual contacted me via private email, and offered
to sell me a working steering rack that wasn't leaking. The
price looked good to me and after confirming from him that
it was working I purchased it.

Not having the time or the extra $'s at the time to have it
put in due to some other repairs I was undertaking on my
car, I left it in its package. Last weekend I took it out and
found that the rack had fluid in its boots. With confirmation
from the bcg I notified this individual who replied with a
one liner "the rack never leaked when it was on my car."
I offered a solution to the problem and kindly asked the
individual to respond to it as soon as was possible. I
suggested that I could return the rack, and at least  get a
part of the amount I paid refunded given that the seller
might also have incurred costs.

What I got back in reply, shocked me. Here was a supposedly
mature individual insulting me and calling me names in a
seemingly childish manner. In one of his messages he
actually says, "drop the lawyer-eaze.  it doesn't work for ya."
and mockingly calls me, " mr. junior lawyer." At that moment
I notified this individual that I did not wish to trade insults with
him and that all I wanted was to get a solution to the issue
that held both of our interests in best regard. He knows I'm a
student, which apparently seems to make him think that I
am incapable of taking action to ensure that this matter is
settled. Fellow digesters who are students may be able to relate,
to what it feels like to be ripped off at a point in life when $ go
to tuition and a steady income is not as steady as is desirable.

I am contemplating a number of actions. I intend to divulge
particulars of this individual to digest subscribers if a solution is
not forthcoming and he proves to be uncooperative and I have
pursued the matter to its fullest extent. I also intend to forward
the details of this individual to the various internet anti-fraud
organizations at the same time. I will do this upon sending this
individual official notice as email may be deemed unofficial for
his own convenience.

This particular individual does not participate in regular discussion
on the bcg at least  in recent times, I get the impression of an
individual who "lurks behind the shadows" waiting to rip off
unsuspecting subscribers who may be looking for an alternative
source of parts other than from the dealer.

I will provide details of this seemingly unscrupulous individual
in the meantime through private/anonymous mail due to
potential legal issues. Thank you for your time and once again
beware of such crooked persons.

Mike Theuri

'86 325 waiting on a steering rack preferably from a reputable
dealer....$'s saved now insignificant.