<E36> Waterpump

Roger Peng Wrote:

>Date: 24 Sep 98 11:40:53 -0700
>From: rpeng@domain.elided
>Subject: E36 Waterpump

>My '92 E36 has reached 70K miles. I'm taking the car in to replace the
>waterpump as a precautionary measure. A couple of people I know (with '93
>models) have both had their waterpump go at around this mileage, at
>inconvenient times of course. Has anyone else had this experience? I heard
>it's due to the bearing material used in the early waterpumps.

>- -Roger Peng

Replaced the water pump in my '92 325is (manf 4/92) when it had 65K on it.
 The bearing was so weak, you could rock the fan +,- an inch or so back and
forth with your fingertip.  Thankfully this was discovered by my hawkeyed
mechanic right before a long trip, or else I probably would have shot the
fan right into the radiator (or something just as bad) on I-75 somewhere in
the middle of nowhere, central Florida.  Lucky for me again, he had the
part right on his shelf and I was on my way in a couple of hours.

Mike Chiang
'95 ///M3
No mods, working waterpump, BL/SS and driver upgrades on the way