Re: <E36> front end vibration

Ali,

I suspect you have two problems.  The low speed vibration in the morning
is probably square tires.  Tires tend to develop flat spots on the bottom
overnight.  Cold weather makes the situation worse because it takes longer
for the tire to warm up and the problem to go away.  The problem is more
noticeable on some tire brands than others.

You're description of the high speed vibration makes me think it is
drive train related.  Probably drive shaft or rear half shaft joints.
I've only recently purchased a BMW so I may be off base on this one.

Experience with other cars has taught me that vibrations that come
on at higher speeds, and then go away when speed increases, are in the
drive train not the front end.  See if you have the same vibration but
much less severe at exactly half that speed.  If you do, then definitely
look at the joints in the drive train.

Jon Berry
BMWCCA# ?
94 318is - Sharked BL/SS
66 Mustang - may run again someday

   >------------------------------
   >
   >Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:35:59 -0400 (EDT)
   >From: Ali S Sarmiento <calculus@domain.elided>
   >Subject: <E36> front end vibration
   >
   >Hi everyone, I have a 92 E36 325i with 70K miles and I have been having
   >this problem lately. When I drive the car first thing in the morning, my
   >steering wheel vibrates (20mph - 40 mph) like the wheels are not balanced,
   >but after a few miles, it goes away for the rest of the day. But in
   >addition to that I also have this consistent problem, quite similar to the
   >previous one... at 85 mph - 100 mph, similar type of vibration. You
   >could feel the vibration throughout the car, even as a passenger... it
   >goes away though at 110mph up. Is there something wrong with my front
   >end? I'm taking my car to a driving school this October and I want to fix
   >this problem before I go. Please help.
   >
   >Thanks,
   >
   >Ali Sarmiento
   >BMWCCA# 100583
   >92 325i 70K (sharked, Bilstein sport/H&R/RD sway bars, x-braced, K&N)

End of bmw-digest V9 #212