RE: E34 Steering box adjustment

>Haven't got my Bentley with me (I'm at work) but I seem to remember
>reading that there is a means for adjustment for such "wear" on the
>steering box itself, without buying a new box. Perhaps Sean A. can
>confirm or deny that...
>
>Phil C.
>95 525i 5spd

I remember many list members talking about this, but I don't remember the
Bentley being of any value when it came to the steering box adjustment.
Maybe I missed it.  I have done the adjustment and found it did little to
eliminate the "play" my box suffers. Other say it has helped.  For those who
are interested, I *remember* the procedure as:

1.  Find the "center" position of the box.  Turn the wheel all the way to
the right.  Now turn all the way to the left counting the number of turns.
Half the number of counts and that should be the center position. Turn wheel
to center  (I have also heard that there is a stamp on the box itself that
marks center.  Anyone???)

2.  Some people suggest raising both front wheels off the ground.

3.  Find the bolt and notched stud on the top of the steering box.  Loosen
the bolt.

4.  Have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth as you try and turn the
stud with a large screwdriver until tight.  Then back off the stud a little
so it isn't fully tight.

5.  Tighten the nut that secures the stud.

6.  Turn the wheel fully in each direction making sure there is no binding,
excessive force or resistence.

7.  Pray it helps...

Did I forget anything?

Shawn Anderson