<E30> re: 318i clutch chatter when cold

Michael St.Clair asks
>After starting the car in the morning and driving off, the clutch
>chatters and jerks until the car is warm. It is impossible to drive
>smoothly when cold but when warm, the clutch pics up smoothy but still
>has alot of take up travel. All this on a clutch that has 7000kms on it.
>Any ideas?? i think i may need to bleed the system or find a point that
>is binding in the hydraulic system. the take up point on the new clutch
>is the same as the worn one!

BMWs use hydraulic clutches (except for very old ones anyway)..
which means they are self adjusting and the position at which the engage
cannot be changed. (?)

(cable operated clutches will wear and change position of engagement..)

I don't think the take up point is indicative of anything.

If the hydraulics were not bled properly (PITA because the bleed nipple is
on the bottom, not the top.. hard to get all the air out) you might have
cold shifting problems..

also, the clutch only has 7k km on it.. was the flywheel cleaned up when
getting the clutch done ? if not it may take a little bit for the new clutch
to bed down on the scored and scraped flywheel..

Also, I think BMW changed to non-asbestos friction material and subsequently
have more problems with clutch chatter.

E30's 325i often have clutch chatter when HOT.. cure for this is to start
off in 3rd gear (or 4th or even 5th :) which generates lots of slip..
this was suggested on a digest long ago and it works great.

but this probably is of no help to you :(

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i - 185k miles, original clutch
'74 2002