<all>Cleaning Engines

Curt wrote:

>Matthew's correct about the electrical wire connectors.  The last time I
>washed the engine bay on the 535i the same thing happened with engine
>sputtering and such.  I found the problem was water trapped in the
>'wiring boot' that goes to the AIR METER BOX.  You have to pull the boot
>off to get the water out.  That fixed the problem.  Good luck on yours.
>
>I've heard that steam cleaning is not all it's cracked up to be.  I
>causes problem like this and strips the bare metals dry of protective
>residues that can help to fight corrosion.  Every time I did it the rust
>tried to take over.  Any words from the collective wisdom on this issue?
>
>Curt Kiser
>PizzaFest II contestant # 12  -- Sign-up you slackers!!!!
>BMW CCA #118507 Tidewater Virginia Chapter
>85' 535i - 86' 325

Larry sez:

I have cleaned dozens of these beasts dozens of times, with (almost) no
ill effects.  I have not had 'rust take over' but then we don't 'season'
the roads for a tasty winter - we just rinse it with rainwater every
day!   ;~)

So, back to the 'almost':  my approach has been to spray a warm (not
hot) motor and engine compartment with Simple Green or equiv., and hit
with the pressure washer.  I don't bother to avoid the electrical
connectors, but I _do_ avoid any of the sensors:  oil pressure switch,
thermo time switch, etc.  They are not designed to withstand pressure
from the _outside_, and you can drive water into them.  As a matter of
course, I pull and blow out the airflow connector and the TDC and rpm
sensor connectors, as well as the throttle position switch.

My preference is to use a professional facility, which treats the waste
water, at least to the extent of an oil trap, but I have been known to
do one or two in my driveway, especially if I have pulled an engine and
don't want to tow a shell around.

Just my experience, Larry F.

Larry Franks
Issaquah, Washington
'86 535i - Shark-infested (Authentic chip!)
'86 535i - Sharked (recently)
'83 245 GLT (Swedish iron)