Re: bmw-digest V9 #208

I had something similar happen if this makes you feel any better.  About a
year and a half ago I had a crazed construction worker throw a snow shovel
at my car (One of those big blue ones with the curved plow like blade).
Luckily it was my old '88 Audi 80 quattro, not my '92 535i, which up to
then had a pretty good paint job.  The reason I can think of he threw it
because my car was rather loud because it needed some new mufflers and he
didn't like the way it sounded or looked driving threw his construction
site.  I stopped and he  started going to pick up the shovel again, so I
decided the hell with this and just drove and called the police.  Ended up
getting 1800 dollars in damages.  Just luckily the shovel, and rock in your
situation didn't go through the window.

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:00:56 -0400
>From: "John Ward" <jtward@domain.elided>
>Subject: <E36> vandalized :(
>
>Today I was on my way back from the University of Cincinnati where I had
>some classes. The day was pretty unexceptional and so was the drive home. I
>was on a 4 lane road where the speed limit is typically 35mph. I enter the
>local school zone (which I go through everyday) and slow down to 20mph. As
>I'm driving through I hear this loud thud on the back passenger side corner
>of my car. "What in the hell was that?" I'm thinking. I glance over to my
>right and notice a group of school kids with a look of shock on their face.
>It is a Catholic school, these boys were in uniform and looked like they
>were in about 1st or 2nd grade. I stop the car, get out and sure enough
>there is a big 2 dent combo in the back passenger door below the rub strip,
>also some chips of paint gone. My car is cashmere beige 4dr and just had a
>$3,000 repaint back in March so I was not happy at all. I approached the
>group of kids and asked "Who through the rock at my car?" One of the kids
>said "His name was Zach and he just ran off into that woods over there."
>Naturally, by the time I got the car stopped and interrogated these kids, he
>was nowhere to be seen. I went into the main office of the school and had a
>talk with the principal who was going to look into the matter. I also filed
>a police report. It'll probably cost a couple hundred bucks to fix these
>damn dents now. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will find the kid and his
>parents will own up to it and pay for the damage. I'm not counting on it
>though... with my own luck I'll have to pay for it out of my own pocket.
>It's such a shame you can't have anything nice anymore without somebody
>tearing it up. I always envisioned it would be some jealous punk, not some
>little school kid. I'm going to wait a few days and see if I get any
>results, otherwise it's back to the bodyshop.... sigh.
>
>Regards,
>
>John
>
>1990 750iL
>1992 325iA - with a ding in the back door now. :(
>BMW CCA #150800

Michael Gruby
e-mail: gruby@domain.elided
University of Illinios