Re: M3 stalls in the morning

Patrick Veltri asked:

>3. When I start the car in the morning and I'm backing out of the garage
if I give a little
>throttle the rev's actually go down. The car almost stalls, but seems to
"catch" itself. Its
>only stalled once, but this condition occurs very often (more than 50% of
the time). Is this
>normal or what?

No it is not normal.  I have noticed the same thing with my '97 M3.  The
problem started after having my car serviced at the dealer for it's normal
(free!) scheduled maintenance.  The dealer perfromed a service bulletin
which reprogrammed the DME to fix some emissions problem without my
concurrence.  I complained about the stalling on my next trip and was told
there were no faults in the computer memory so everything must be OK.  I
complained again at the Inspection 1 service and was told this time that
BMW was aware of the problem and is working on another software fix.  There
is no anticipated date for this fix to be available.

The best thing you can do is complain to your dealer.  I am very
disappointed with the quality of support provided by BMW when it comes to
EEPROM fixes.  BMW must have the stupidest software people in the world
writing their DME code.  They screwed up my 1995 BMW 530i with an EEPROM
change due to the V8 engine problems.  Now I am going through the same
problems with the M3 I bought when I traded in the 530i.  Maybe Jim C. can
hire out as a consultant to BMW.  Something in the engine management system
software must get screwed up during the conversion from German to English!

Anyone else notice the same problem?

Tracy Meyer