<MISC> re:HELP: E34 White smoke

Anatoly Z. sez
>      I have a question regarding my  '90 BMW 535i,  when outside
>temperature drops about below 60 degrees Fahrenheit white smoke (steam)
>appears coming out from the rear exhaust.
>.. etc (explaining it was not a cracked head)..

when the car is first started all kinds of ugly gasses are formed
(as well as lots of water vapour)..

it is just warm moist air being exhausted into the cool ambient..
creating fog or steam or whatever you want to call it.

(it also condenses *inside* the exhaust pipe.. so you get a nice puddle of
 nasty chemicals inside the exhaust.. unless you drive for a while and
 warm everything up enough to dry that out, it happily corrodes your
 exhaust from the inside out. That is one reason that short commuting
 in the city is bad for the car)

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002